What to Bring
Consider the extremes of Adirondack Mountain weather (35-100°F) when selecting items to bring. We experience hot, sunny days and cold, wet rainy days, too. Casual clothes are worn except for concerts, which require students to wear suits/sport coats or dresses/dressy pants. Students must supply their own twin size bed sheets, pillowcases, blankets and towels. An extra set of sheets is recommended as laundry is sent out weekly and turn around is 24 hrs. Bring a laundry bag that closes by drawstring or zipper and mark it with your name. If you have room, a mattress pad is also recommended. A pillow is provided. For international students there are a limited number of sheets, blankets and towels available for rent.
In addition to the above and the clothes you choose to bring, the following items will be useful:
- Music stand
- Pencils and tape
- Rain gear
- Stationery and stamps
- Clock and flashlight
- Fan (limited number available for rent)
- Insect repellent
- Plastic drinking cup or mug
- Toiletries & shower caddy
- Small reading light
- Extra pair of glasses or contacts
- Electrical power strip (NO extension cords)
- Sports equipment to bring: tennis racket, swimsuit, beach towel, and soccer gear. We supply soccer balls, table tennis paddles, basketballs, badminton rackets, and frisbees. Supplies we sell: table tennis balls, table tennis paddles and badminton birdies. Rental fee on some items, refunded if item returned in same condition.
- Hiking gear: sturdy hiking boots, (required for mountain hikes), wool socks, daypack, water bottle, hat, jacket
It is suggested that you bring at least $250 in cash, checks, or travelers checks for spending money. There is no ATM on campus. Students may “bank” their money in the office to keep it safe.
Weekly town trips are available for shopping needs. An ATM is available in town.
Music, strings and accessories can be purchased on campus at the school music store. A violinmaker is on site for your instrument repairs and rehairs. Before arrival, have your bow rehaired short due to the very high humidity.
Bring scale books, etude books, performance pieces and all piano parts for the accompanists.
Only Verizon and T-Mobile cell service is available at the school. There are campus phones available for student use and phone cards can be purchased in the office. Cell phone use for students under the age of 18 is limited so as not to interfere with studies, practice, sleep and campus life. Please see our CELL PHONE POLICY.
You may bring your laptop. Wireless Internet service is available in the Main House during open hours, except during meals and cafeteria cleanup time.
What NOT to bring
Meadowmount has clean, rustic accommodations that cannot handle the electrical load required by many appliances and electronic gadgets. Extension cords are not allowed. (One power strip is fine.)
- Air Conditioners
- Cooking equipment
- Coffee makers
- Water boilers
- Rice cookers
- Candles / matches / fireworks / incense
- Pocket knives/guns
- Desktop computers
You may send luggage and boxes ahead of your arrival beginning June 10 to the following address via US Postal Service or courier service:
Meadowmount School of Music
1424 County Route 10
Westport, NY 12993